All dog owners have a list of harmful foods for dogs. Despite some lists could have little differences, they all have something in common, chocolate.
The amount of chocolate that can kill a dog will vary based on his weight and the type of chocolate. To understand this, it’s important to know why chocolate can be toxic for dogs.
Why Is Chocolate Toxic for Dogs
The responsible for this toxicity is a compound called theobromine. This compound is present in cocoa, and it’s the one that makes humans feel better when we eat it, but for dogs, it is hardly metabolized.
Theobromine isn’t toxic just for dogs; for humans, “toxic levels” are considered 1000 mg/kg of weight. In dogs, poisoning effects may appear since 20 mg/kg, way less, is tolerated because their livers are unable to dissolve it efficiently.
Can Chocolate Kill a Dog
Absolutely yes, if a dog eats a lethal dose of chocolate, he’ll need medical attention as soon as possible to survive.
The doses considered lethal for dogs are any between 60 mg/kg to 200 mg/kg. This doesn’t mean that below is fine, at 20 mg/kg the dog will have signs of mild intoxication. Since 40 mg/kg and above would be considered as severe intoxication and seizures could appear.
Answering how much chocolate can kill a dog will depend on the dog’s weight and what kind of chocolate he ate. Now that you know how much theobromine is harmful, you need to learn how much each kind of chocolate has.
How Much Dark Chocolate Can Kill a Dog
The strong dark chocolate is one of the more dangerous for dogs, each 100g of it contains almost 900 mg of theobromine. This means that your dog has to eat 6.5 grams per kilo of weight for it to be lethal.
If we talk about mild dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate, it contains something between 500 and 550 mg.
How Much Milk Chocolate Can Kill a Dog
This chocolate has 180 mg of theobromine each 100g. Way less than strong or mild dark chocolate, yet 33 grams per kilo would be enough to be deadly. Even so, any amount that means above 20 mg/kg should be treated.
How Much White Chocolate Can Kill a Dog
Perhaps the safest kind of chocolate a dog can eat, since it would need 6 tons per kilo to be a risk. This makes white chocolate the only one that dogs can eat because it has less than 0.001 mg of theobromine each 100 g.
Literally, the dog would die before he can ingest the amount necessary of it to be lethal, so be unconcerned. Yet, offering a dog white chocolate isn’t in any way advised, so don’t take unnecessary risks.
How Much Cocoa Powder Can Kill a Dog
Cocoa powder can be seen directly as poison for dogs. It has an alarming amount of theobromine, from 2800 to 2900 mg every 100 grams. If your dog has eaten just 2 grams per kilo, it can be really serious. By far the most deadly kind of chocolate.
What to Do If My Dog Ate Chocolate
Well, if he has eaten anything above 20 mg/kg, he will likely start with symptoms like diarrhea or vomiting. If he doesn’t start puking on his own, inducing vomiting is necessary. After that, take him to the vet as soon as possible for a check.
If it goes unnoticed, most of the signals take 24 hours to show up. Waiting for this much on severe intoxication cases will cause seizures. This means that the dog will need intravenous anti-seizure medicine.
It’s remarkable that there’s no specific treatment for chocolate intoxication. This means that only supportive care is given to recover the fluids lost and to prevent seizures.
Other Forbidden Foods for Dogs
Chocolate isn’t the only bad food for dogs, they don’t synthesize foods like us. Here we have a list of other meals that dogs shouldn’t eat:
- Avocado: it’s due to persin, a fungicidal toxin that can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
- Onion: it can kill the red blood cells, causing anemia.
- Coffee: caffeine causes tachycardia and arterial hypertension.
- Alcohol: it will cause an ethyl coma.
- Nuts: due to the high phosphorus content, it can damage the bladder, muscles, and joints.
- Grapefruit: because of a yet unknown toxin that causes kidney failure.
- Raw Potato: raw potatoes contain solanine, a highly toxic substance, that can cause from gastroenteritis to kidney failure.
- Raw Chicken Eggs: it may cause salmonellosis.